12/24/11

Quilting in the Bridge House

Quilting on the Bridge

Hello All,
In addition to teaching full-time for UCF, I work part-time tending the State Road 3 Barge Canal Bridge, the draw bridge that connects south and north Merritt Island.  I began working here in May of 2011 as something to do to keep busy for the summer and to make some sewing cash.  I was just going to work on the bridge for the summer but I love coming to work on the bridge and find it to be a wonderful hide-away, a quiet place to quilt, read, work on my homework, or grade papers.  (Occasionally, I do have to lift the bridge for a passing boat!)  I can't imagine a more beautiful place to quilt than the bridge house with its 360 degree view of the water (OK, and the traffic along State Road 3!)... but really, it is quite the spot for alone time, and boy, do I ever get a lot done!  I typically work three shifts per week, so that equals 24 hours total quilting time per week (and roughly $200 in my pocket to boot!).  Who else can say that they get to quilt in a glass room hovering above a beautiful waterway where dolphins and manatee like to play, and get paid at the same time??  I do!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new blog! I am jealous of your "scheduled" quilting time. I cannot wait to see what lovely things you create at the bridge.

    ReplyDelete